Thursday, February 18, 2016

Playing with my beads...more Rani samples

I've made quite a few more samples of Puca's "Rani" motif and in the process discovered that 2x3mm rondelles work great too so now I've got even more color options. I think that I like the motif the best when it has some sparkly crystals in the center and most rondelles are sparkly, especially the "AB" ones. Before I show you my new samples, HERE is the link to buy Puca's "Rani" pattern on Etsy.

I think I've got my method perfected so that the motifs turn out neat and mostly flat every time. I had been using Nymo D thread for my earlier samples and decided to give 6 lb FireLine a try. It works but I don't recommend it for this. Although it's much easier to get through the tiny beads several times with FireLine, it doesn't give the motif enough structure. My motifs came out flat but they were too soft and flexible. Perhaps 8 lb FireLine would work better but I don't have any to try it with.

I re-made a couple of the samples that I showed you in my original post, which you can read HERE, so that you can see the difference my tweaked method makes in the outcome.

The samples on the left in the two photos below are the ones I showed you before but I've flipped them upside down so that you can see how cupped and wonky they are. The examples on the right were made using my method and I was super careful not to pull my thread too tight.



  • 15/0 seed beads Toho "Antique Bronze" (223)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Antique Bronze" (223)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Hybrid Opaque Matte Grey Bronze Vega" (Y0862F)
  • SuperDuo beads "Polychrome Orchid Aqua"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm bicones "Purple AB" (Chinese)



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Bronze" (457L)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Bronze" (457L)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Permanent Finish Matte Galvanized Rose Gold" (557PFF)
  • SuperDuo beads "Opaque White Full Apricot"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm bicones "Bittersweet AB" (Chinese)

Although I'd like to make myself a bracelet from this pattern sometime, at the moment I'm thinking that the motif would make very pretty earrings. Below is a sample earring. I added a "Sidonia" loop at the top to attach the wire. I like the colors but I think I should have used something darker for the center beads. I think I'll use metallic bronze druks or fire polished beads instead of the opal druks next time. All of the other beads are the same colors that I used in my very first sample (see my other post) except that the Metallic Suede Gold SuperDuos are from a lighter dye lot this time.



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Hybrid Oxidized Bronze Clay" (Y864)
  • SuperDuo beads "Metallic Suede Gold"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm druks "Champagne"

Below are six more samples. Some have 3mm druks in the center and some have 3mm fire polished beads or 2x3mm rondelles. 



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Permanent Finish Matte Galvanized Mauve" (556PFF)
  • SuperDuo beads "Matte Chalk Bronze"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 2x3mm rondelles "Vintage Rose AB" (Beads One - not available online)



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "White Opaque Blue Luster" (55054)
  • SuperDuo beads "Chalk Blue Picasso Luster"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm druks "Matte Siam Ruby Bronze/Copper Picasso" *

* I've seen them called both "bronze" and "copper". In any case, I think they have discontinued this color because I no longer see it on the wholesale bead site.

I used Miyuki seed beads for the accent color in the sample above and I wasn't happy with them. They're a little too small for this project. Although Miyuki seed beads work just fine for the main metallic color, Toho 11/0 beads are a better size for the color accents.



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Hybrid Opaque Grey Bronze Vega" (Y862)
  • SuperDuo beads "Opaque Violet White Luster"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm rondelles "Lilac AB - #C12" (Beads One)



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads "Transparent Gold Lined" (no info available)
  • SuperDuo beads "Pearl Coat Brown Sugar"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm rondelles "Khaki AB" (Beads One - not available online)

This time I used some clear accent seed beads because I didn't have anything else that went with the khaki rondelles. I'm not happy with the way they look.



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Caramel Ceylon" (593)
  • SuperDuo beads "Metallic Suede Light Green"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm druks "Ivory Pearl Coat"

Once again I used Miyuki 11/0 seed beads for the pearly accents and they're a little too small.



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Matte Galvanized Lilac" (554F)
  • SuperDuo beads "Purple Velvet"
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Bronze"

I also experimented with connecting a few motifs as you can see below. I connected three motifs using Puca's method and I made sure that I reinforced everything very well. The clasp loop was my idea. I love this design and I will definitely make a bracelet when I have a chance. I love these colors but I'm not sure if I have anything to wear this color with. Maybe I'll have to buy myself a new top to go with this bracelet!



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Opaque Light Blue Amethyst Marbled" (1204)
  • SuperDuo beads "Chalk Vega" (I've also seen them called "Luster Opaque Amethyst")
  • O-Beads "Crystal Full Amber"
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Transparent Amethyst Luster"

 

8 comments:

  1. Oh lordy...the colours in the last one are sooooo gorgeous.I must say that I never realized how much knowledge goes into creating a design. I just thought anything goes..bead soup... but I was so wrong as I see from your examples. This brings out the talented artist. Thank you for all this info. I appreciate your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marge. It helps to have a nice stash of beads to choose from. That's why I NEED to buy more and more of them, LOL. After making these samples, it occurred to me that I should get some silver O beads so that I can try some colorways with silver seed beads.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful samples!!! I've found the seed beads but where did you get the Matte Chalk Bronze superduos and the Chalk Blue Picasso Luster superduos Thanks Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann. I bought them from an Etsy shop called BeadsParade but they only have the Matte Chalk Picasso ones in stock and not many left. I've never seen either color anywhere else.

      Delete
  3. Linda where did you find the White Opaque Blue Luster 11/0? The only place I could find them was from Britain and $20.00 shipping. Thanks Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them from the same BeadsParade Etsy shop as the other two colors that you asked about the other day. They no longer have them in stock but they're very similar to Chalk Lazure Blue. The color is just a little darker and slightly more blue.

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda, I’m confused, which thread did you finally decide works best on this pattern?
    Thanks, Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine. I can see why you're confused by what I wrote. It has been so long since I last made this pattern that I couldn't remember what I had ended up using. However, I found my printed copy and my notes say not to use Nymo B or 6lb Fireline so I must have settled on using Nymo D since that's the only other kind of thread that I use.

      Delete