Sunday, July 5, 2015

YouTube Beading Tutorial - Spectacular Necklace


Before getting to work on the "Cindy" bracelets that I mentioned earlier, I wanted to try a YouTube video tutorial that I'd had my eye on for a while. I don't want to make a necklace but I thought perhaps the motif might make pretty earrings if it was made with smaller beads. I'm happy to say that I think it will work great. The full size motif would be a little too bulky as an earring but the scaled down version is perfect and just as pretty, as you can see.

You can watch the "Spectacular Necklace" video HERE on Gina's Gem Creations YouTube channel. I hadn't watched any of Gina's tutorials before and she's a very good teacher. You'll have no trouble following along.



UPDATE: Here is what they look like from the back (I forgot to take a photo of them yesterday):


BACK VIEW

I just randomly grabbed some beads that went well together to try the full-size component first. After making that one, I only had to get out some matching 3mm druks and some 15/0 seed beads to make the smaller one. Here's the bead size breakdown for the full size component:

  • 8mm druks
  • 6mm druks
  • 4mm druks
  • 8/0 seed beads
  • 11/0 seed beads
Here is what you'd need to make the small one:
  • 6mm druks
  • 4mm druks
  • 3mm druks
  • 11/0 seed beads
  • 15/0 seed beads
Of course you can use pearls or round crystals instead of druks. I used Miyuki seed beads and found that there were some gaps left in the stitching. Gina uses Toho beads for hers. If I make earrings, I'll have to remember to add extra seed beads if I use Miyuki beads. You can't really see the gaps from the front but I had to pull the netting very tight to draw it in on the back. So, I think that my components might look a little more compact and raised up in the middle than Gina's for that reason.

Large Component:

  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8mm druks "Acid Washed Purple"
  • 6mm druks "Matte Iris Purple"
  • 4mm Czech pearls "Deep Lilac Satin"

Small Component:

  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 6mm druks "Matte Iris Purple"
  • 4mm Czech pearls "Deep Lilac Satin"
  • 3mm Czech pearls "Tahitian"

4 comments:

  1. Linda check out her Morning Sky earring tutorial on you tube I made several pairs but you might want to use 4mm and 3mm because you prefer smaller earrings Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch it when I have a chance. Thanks, Ann.

      Delete
  2. I really like these earrings. The beads are so nice. How are you going to attach the wire? Could a flat post be woven in the back because I like post earrings. I dislike when the earring pulls the ear lobe down to the ground. Thanks again. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought much about it yet, Marge. I just held the small component up to my ear and it would make a cute post earring if I can figure out how to attach a post. I haven't seen post earring findings anywhere locally but I haven't looked at Hobby Lobby yet. Maybe I've got some old post earrings that I don't ever wear that I could stick inside the component.

      Delete